His Holiness, Hazrat Mirza Masroor Ahmad (aba), Worldwide Head of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, the 5th Khalifa (Caliph), is currently touring Holland. Earlier today His Holiness addressed the ladies of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community in their separate marquee and explained the need to ‘become a friend of God’. Here are some of the key messages His Holiness elucidated upon in a passionate speech. We urge readers to benefit from the full translation once available. This only means to serve as a brief preview:
Accepting the Promised Messiah
- His Holiness said that you have accepted the Promised Messiah (as), Hazrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, to show obedience to the commandments of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (sa). The Holy Prophet (sa) commanded that people should accept and follow the teaching of the Messiah of latter days, when Muslim scholars would have distorted the teachings of Islam. The Holy Prophet (sa) laid such great emphasis on accepting the Promised Messiah, because he would appear to rejuvenate the true teachings of Islam in the world. Therefore, this is a prime opportunity for those who follow the Promised Messiah (as), who has now come, to practice the true teachings of Islam.
- Those who verbally pledge allegiance to the Promised Messiah (as) and then do not follow his teachings in practice should be extremely concerned about their condition. Those who leave their countries and emigrate to the West seeking religious freedom and asylum, yet when in the West, forsake the teachings of Islam, have reasons to be extremely worried. Such people’s condition is similar to dried up branches of a tree. Every gardener removes dead branches when pruning the tree. So do not become spiritually dead. This should be a matter of great concern for those, who claim to accept the Promised Messiah (as), but do not follow his teachings. Mere lip service is not what is required. Rather, it is practical actions and true following.
- Do not think if I am highlighting shortcomings in women it only applies to them and does not apply to men. In fact, men have greater shortcomings. If husbands at home were displaying high moral standards, their wives would automatically reform themselves seeing the role model of their husbands. Husbands therefore should reform themselves.
- Always be mindful of God Almighty. Before taking any action, just reflect that will this action of mine lead to the pleasure of God or will I anger God with my deed? By taking the oath of allegiance to the Promised Messiah (as), we pledge to give precedence to our faith over this material world. On the Day of Judgement, we will be held to account for our actions, deeds and pledges.
- A true believing woman values and enjoys the material blessings of this world such as nice clothing and fine jewellery; but should not make these the objective of her existence. She should not seek these material things at the expense of her faith.
- A true believing woman focuses to excel in piety and righteousness, she seeks opportunities to serve her faith and outshine others in making sacrifices for the cause of her faith.
- The sphere of influence of a believing woman is wide; with her pious practice, she can reform her children and even her husband. Daughters always observe the practical example of their mothers.
The Importance of Prayers and the Qur’an
- Make praying a centrepiece of your life; it is the key step to seek God. When standing during prayers, it should be evident from your stance that God is the true focus of your worship. When bowing during prayer, you should be a picture of true humility. You should experience the true awe of the majesty and grandeur of your God when prostrating during prayers.
- Recite the Holy Qur’an with a view to understand its message, then put the commandments of the Holy Qur’an in practice. The essence of the Holy Qur’an is ‘Taqwah’ or in other words being righteous. Faith begins with this righteousness and also with purity.
- Those believing women, who understand the true essence of the teachings of the Holy Qur’an, grasp the philosophy of “Haya” or modesty. When the true concept of modesty is understood, it becomes easy to practice the commandment of purdah (covering and modesty). In these western countries, it requires a concerted and determined effort to cultivate God fearing righteousness in our thought processes and conduct.
Making God Your Friend
- Make a true and concerted effort to make God your Friend. When God becomes your Friend the opponents of this world cannot harm you as God’s angels will protect you from every adversary. To become a friend of God, you need to become focused on the acts of worship such as prayers. You need to follow the commandments of God Almighty in your everyday life such as dressing appropriately. You need to demonstrate with your practical example that you follow the moral code of conduct taught by God Almighty and fulfil the rights of God and His people.
- To make God your Friend, you have to follow His commands. And you should not just reform yourselves, rather you need to connect your children with God as well. You would have to undergo an immense struggle of the self to exert all your energy to connect yourself with God and reform.